Wednesday, June 26, 2013

Wednesday June 26, 2013 (Disney Fund)

Disney Vacation Fund

So we went to Disneyland back in February and my boys LOVED it. The little one keeps asking me when we can go back. I tried telling him that we have to save enough money to go to Disneyworld this time. Being 3, he doesn't understand the concept of money very well yet, but he does understand needing a visual amount of something to get something else. This is thanks to our Behavior Central. He has to earn 10 marbles in order to get a prize out of the goody bag so he knows how to count to ten, but having the visual helps him to understand. So I decided to quickly whip up a visual aid to explain to them that we have to save up for a Disney vacation as well as give them a way to keep track of how close we are getting to having enough to go on vacation. Luckily I had a piece of extra poster board on hand so I didn't even have to leave the house to make it :)
Believe it or not Tinkerbell's dress is actually green, it's just a dark green because that was the color marker I had and I didn't feel like dragging out the paint. I explained to the boys that each line represents a certain dollar amount and as we get the money we get to fill the bar up and when it gets to the top we will have enough money to go to Disneyworld. The writing on the side tells us what milestones we have reached IE: 1/2 way there. You could use this for TONS of other things like saving up for a game station, a toy or something else that they really want. You also don't have to use poster board, I just did because it's what I had on hand. I'm hoping it will teach the boys about saving money, as well as give them a visual for how long before we can go to Disneyworld without them asking a million times. Only time will tell though.

No comments:

Post a Comment