Thursday, June 6, 2013

Thursday June 6 2013 (saving the Rooster's blanket)

Saving the Rooster's Blanket

This is Rooster on the day we brought him home from the hospital. That blanket that is covering him up has literally been with him since day one and it's his security blanket. As soon as he could talk he affectionately dubbed it "Star Blankey".
Needless to say after 5 years of being dragged around the house, being chewed on while he was teething and countless washings Star Blankey finally gave out and got a HUGE hole in the middle of it. The Rooster BEGGED me to "save" him, but I knew there was no way I could patch it. So instead I told him that to save Star Blankey I would have to cut him up and turn him into a quilt. It took him a little while to decide, but he decided that since he could keep his Star Blankey that way that he would let me cut it up. I wish I had thought to take a before picture of the raggedy blanket I had to drag with me to JoAnn's so that I could try and match the fabric to the stars, I got some disgusted looks when I pulled it out to compare, but what's a mom to do when her son begs her to save his security blanket.
I picked a simple pattern just so that I could throw it together in the couple of hours that I had before bedtime, since he won't sleep without it. I would NOT recommend using the thermal knit for quilting, it stretches and is a ROYAL PAIN IN THE BOTTOM! For swaddling however it's hard to beat!
Here is the finished product. I love that you can still see how worn the Star Blankey was because the stars are all worn off.


As a side note sorry it's been so long since I've blogged. I have been working on a lot of projects that will have to stay top secret until they are gifted or their occasion is over!

No comments:

Post a Comment