Tuesday, June 18, 2013

Tuesday June 18 2013 (skunked)

Skunked!!!

 

So these two ornery little varmits decided to corner a skunk in my parents' backyard last night. NOT very smart because they got themselves sprayed. We all know the tomato paste trick, but I really didn't want to do that if I didn't have to because they both have long coats and I didn't even want to think about how much tomato paste I would need. So I took to the internet and read that hydrogen peroxide, baking soda and dishwashing liquid would all help. So I concocted a little mixture and the smelly dogs got a bath.
Anti-Skunk Soap
1qt Hydrogen Peroxide ($0.88 per quart at Walmart)
1TBSP dawn dishwashing liquid ($1.07 for a small bottle at Walmart)
1/4 cup baking soda ($0.52 for a small box at Walmart)
Rubber gloves

Pour the hydrogen peroxide into a bucket and gently stir in the baking soda and then the dawn. Try not to make bubbles!
This will make enough for a medium short haired dog. I doubled it for EACH dog because they are big and have a TON of fur.
(I washed the dogs outside because they had to sit for 20minutes while the soap worked it's magic. Normally I dont believe in chaining dogs, but they got tied to a tree with their leashes so they couldnt run away or roll in the mud while I was trying to get them clean.)
First thing is secure your dog so they cant escape, put on your rubber gloves then soak them with plain water. They may smell worse when they get wet so don't be alarmed. Work the water into their coat especially if they have long or thick fur. You want it ALL wet. Try not to get water in their eyes, ears or nose, they wont thank you for it!
Use a cup to pour small amounts of the "soap" onto them and work it into their fur like you would shampoo on your own head. Make sure to get the "soap" everywhere except their eyes, ears, nose, mouth and any open ouchies. Be thorough, make sure to work it into their fur as much as possible.
Once they are coated let them sit for 20minutes, longer if they REALLY stink.
When the time is up rinse them thoroughly, if you still smell skunk, repeat the process. My dogs only needed one treatment.
Hopefully they learned their lesson and at least they don't stink anymore. I can't say the same for my dad's trailer that got the worst of it, but hopefully some rain and sunshine will get rid of that smell for us!



No comments:

Post a Comment