Friday, May 3, 2013

Friday May 3, 2013 (rainy day quilt pt 2)

Quilting the day away

Today I didn't get a whole lot done crafting wise. I went to dinner with the family and we had to go get some paint for the Corn hole game that I've been working on, since I'm planning on painting it tomorrow, hopefully the weather will cooperate. I did work on my rainy day quilt some today though. I matched up all of my squares to start sewing them into triangles.
Here's the pile of squares that I will be turning into triangles.
The fastest way to sew a bunch of half square triangles is actually to put two squares on top of each other, then mark a line diagonally across. Then sew a straight line across the square 1/4" away from the line on either side of it so that they look like this.

Then once they are all sewn you cut down the drawn line, fold them open and TADA, you have a bunch of half triangle squares! I'm only about 1/3 of the way through the pile of squares, there are about 220 squares for this quilt. So I still have a long ways to go. I'll probably take a break from them for the weekend though since my husband has the weekend off (YAY!) and that means we get some family time, except tomorrow of course when I'm painting the corn hole game I'm making for him.

Pumpkin Update

The pumpkin plants are still thriving! Sadly there have been no more new plants. I had to move the flowers and mint to make room for the larger pumpkin containers, and unfortunately they got chilled in the window that I had them in (there is no extra heat for them there, unlike the tub the pumpkins are in which is near the air vent) and they wilted to the point of no return. Strike one against my green thumb. I did however get out the gardening tools and clear all the debris and weeds from my little patch of dirt that I call a garden in preparation for moving the pumpkins outside as soon as I think it's safe. The forecast is calling for rain instead of snow next week so hopefully the danger of frost will be over soon.

No comments:

Post a Comment