Wednesday, May 1, 2013

Wednesday May 1, 2013 (rainy day quilt)

Springtime Snow

You know you live in Colorado when it's May and you are still getting snow. Whatever happened to April showers bring May flowers? I guess Colorado didn't get the memo... As much as I love the snow, I would really love to get some rain!
 Lately I've had the desire to make a new quilt, my munchkins and the husband are always hoarding all of the blankets. So I thought to myself if mother nature isn't going to be giving us rain anytime soon then I will supply it myself and put together a rainy day quilt. I got the inspiration from crafty blossom and this beautiful quilt.

Then I dug around through my fabric hoard and picked up a couple of extra fabrics that I thought complimented each other.
I cut them all up into 6" squares and will be sewing them into triangles in my "free time" HAHA as if i have any of that. What I should say is I will be making time to sew all of these little squares into triangles. This is going to be an ongoing project, so check back for details.

End of the year for Preschool

So it's almost the end of the school year for the Rooster who was in Preschool this year. He will be "graduating" this week and then he has a couple more days of school before it's actually over. It's kind of weird, but I'm grateful because he's very stubborn about not letting me teach him so the more school he gets the better. We are supposed to bring cookies for the graduation, and then the end of school party. I still haven't decided what I want to bring, but in addition to whatever I decide to make, I will also be making some vegan cookies as some of the children in his class have egg allergies and I want them to feel included. 


Trying to come up with a decent farewell teacher gift can be tough especially because I'm sure they get sick of all of the apples and such, it's especially difficult for preschool because the Rooster has not one but three teachers, so I have to stretch funds pretty tight. I finally decided on a gift that was inspired by my husband's Valentines day gift to me this year. An edible arrangement that was similar to this.

These arrangements however are pretty pricey so I thought why not make them myself. Surely if I can make cake pops I can do some chocolate dipped strawberries. I also thought that it might be cute to stick them into a pot. I could have bought some bright colored plastic pots, but I was worried they wouldn't weigh enough to counterbalance the fruit and would tip over too easily, so I opted for clay, but the plain terra cotta was too boring so I decided to paint them. I haven't done the strawberries or any of the fruit yet, since he still has some school left,  but when I do them I will be sure to put up some pictures. 

Movie Recommendation

So I'm one of those people who always has a gazillion things going on at once. I cannot craft without music or a movie/TV show playing to keep whatever parts of my brain I'm not using entertained, like when I'm cutting a zillion little 6" squares of fabric, okay it was only like 220 and I had a rotary cutter, but still, it can get really monotonous especially if you like to wash and iron all the fabric first like I prefer to do when I quilt. Today's movie was What to Expect When You're Expecting normally I prefer Disney movies or SciFi/Fantasy, but this movie was absolutely HILARIOUS! Especially if you have had kids, totally on my recommended movie list for other parents.

No comments:

Post a Comment