Sunday, May 12, 2013

Sunday May 12 2013 (paracord)

Happy Mother's Day!

So this year the hubby had to work on Mother's Day so I pretty much got to spend the first half of my day doing what I always do. Catering to the munchkins, cleaning the house and just getting what I can done. He did get off work early and we got to enjoy a nice dinner out with his family.

Paracord

So there is this stuff called paracord, you may have seen the "Zombie apocalypse" bracelets, belts pouches etc. that people make with it. It's pretty cool stuff because it's really strong considering it's size and it comes in a variety of colors and patterns. I have made a few bracelets out of it.

 
You can make a large variety of patterns with them too which is nice for some variety. I recently saw a dog collar and leash made with it and I thought that was a great idea because the stuff is built for getting beaten up and if you have pets that wear their collars all of the time you know that's exactly what happens. Our cats and dogs ALWAYS have their collars on, the only exception is bath time. I always worry that one of the kids will get the door open and the critters will take off. Without their collar and tags they might very well never make it back to us. Anyways I digress, I decided a while back to make a test collar for our cat Milo, I made it using paracord and a plastic clasp. It's held up WONDERFULLY with no snagging or fraying despite all of his playing rough with our other cat Ginny, when before they would kill a collar in a couple of months. He also seems comfortable in it and it's lightweight enough not to bother him. Now that Ginny is full grown and I don't have to worry about adjusting the size I decided it was time to make her one as well. Seeing as she and Kiki are the only other girls in our household I decided to make hers a nice girly pink with some orange as well because I thought they looked nice together.
So these are the supplies for the collar, I did a simple knot all the way across and had her close at hand to check the size on her. She is an attention hog so she didn't mind being fitted a couple of times before I was satisfied with the size.
Here is the finished collar with her tags, I just need to get her a nice pink or orange bell to go with it.

Ginny sporting her new collar and hanging out with me in the kitchen. They have a little scratching post bed that they love to hang out on while I work in the kitchen.
I think next time I will make a collar for Kiki dog so that she doesn't feel left out.

Pumpkin update

So today was the "safe" day for planting in Colorado, it's dangerous to plant too early because of spring frosts that kill plants. Hopefully the frosts are done because I planted the pumpkins today. I was originally only going to plant two or three, but with the luck I've had with my garden I decided to plant 5 and hopefully a couple of them will survive. half of our little garden gets a LOT of sun and the other half gets part shade, but also gets consistently sprinkled with pine needles from the evil pine tree that grows across the sidewalk from it. If I only had a chainsaw I would chop that stupid thing down, although the HOA probably wouldn't like that too much. So between the two things most plants don't do well with the exception of marigolds, although last year the heat managed to fry those poor little guys too despite being watered multiple times a day. Wish the little pumpkin plants luck and I'll update pictures as they grow if they survive.
Here's the little garden. The plastic bottles are next to the pumpkin plants, they have holes poked into the bottom of them to allow the water to go deeper into the ground instead of pooling at the surface. Hopefully this will help them some, if not I'll just recycle them. There are also some random bulbs that survived from last year. If they flower I'll make sure to get pictures of them as well.

No comments:

Post a Comment